Saturday, August 27, 2011

Video part 2

And some faq's and comments on part 1:

Most questions can be answered by saying, "it's not finished".  Really, I'm not blowing you off!  But of course, there is no scenery yet, many solder joints in the wiring are not yet insulated, and the trains are still shiny and new looking - this will all change in time.

Is the locomotive we're following spinning up the grade?  Is this the longest train that particular loco can pull?  Yes, and right now, yes.  The grade in part 1 is the steepest on the layout, though it is not excessive.  I will be applying a traction compound to the drive wheels of all of the locos, and they will both not spin, and be able to pull more cars, up this grade.  The traction compound, by the way, is called Bull Frog Snot.

Yes, all of the sound in the videos, with the exception of my narration, is coming from each locomotive.

No, there is no smoke or steam.  At least one manufacturer, MTH, offers smoke on their locos - but that tends to gum things up eventually - what goes up, must come down.  And if you know me, you know that I smoke - but not in my home.  So if I don't smoke inside, I don't want my trains doing it, either!

Other than all that, I am pleased with this effort for a first video.  I know now that I need to use better lighting, and learned a lot in the process.  Hopefully, future videos will be a bit better, but I'm not trying to be a pro - it is what it is...

Here's part 2 - again, click on the YouTube logo, and watch it full screen there.  This one is 1080p HD - if you can get YouTube on your TV, it will look awwwwe-some!