Monday, September 3, 2012

Trees

Trees and vegetation really begin to bring things to life!

Tree making 101: I start with Super Trees from Scenery Express.  What you get in the "Value Cases" is a big "bush" of natural plant material that, when separated out, looks amazingly like scale trees.  They claim it's from Denmark - what do I know about plants?  I've read some people say it's a plant called Sedum, and you can grow your own in the back yard.  Well, that's not happening.  Anyway, they look good, except they tend to have a natural curve I need to get rid of.

I work in the kitchen for the first steps - another advantage of being single... here's a batch separated from the bush into individual trees - all shapes and sizes.

Then they go into a huge pot of water to boil for a minimum of 20 minutes.  It smells kind of like kale when it's cooking...

Then outside, I've rigged up a clothesline under the deck to hang them upside down, with extra clothespins for weight.  The boiling and hanging straightens the trees out.

When dry, I spray paint the lower stems with cheap light grey primer.

When the paint is dry, I dip the lower painted part into a mixture of alcohol and black India ink.  I think the combination of the grey primer and the ink dip gives the "trunks" the right grey color, highlighted in a darker tone.

Here they're laid out for the ink to dry.

Next, holding the trunk in a gloved hand to mask it, I spray on 3M Super 77 hi-tack adhesive.  It is ready to work with in seconds.

Now it gets fun.  I use Noch Professional Leaf Flake in a variety of shades for the foliage.  Some flake is poured into the Turbo Tree canister.  Actually, I modified mine by transferring all the guts into a little larger container of Utz Pretzels.  The Tubo Tree is a little pricey, and it looked like something I could probably make myself - but as someone in the manufacturing field, I appreciate the cost of innovation and engineering, so I bought one.  It worked great, except I found a little larger container worked better, so now I have about a 2-year supply of pretzels.

I tried to get a video of this thing in action, but failed miserably... but it works really well, distributing the leaf flake evenly onto the tree sprayed with hi-tack.  The trees are then placed upright into a scrap of foamboard with holes poked in it to allow the glue to dry.

Finally, I sprinkle on a random dusting of a fine highlight color - browns, yellows, reds - and give the trees a spray of cheap, unscented, super-duper hold hair spray to keep everything together.

Planting is easy into the foam scenery base - poke a hole with an awl, add a dab of hot glue, and plant.  Smaller pieces of Super Tree material, with leaf flake added, are used as underbrush to fill in the gaps.

I keep count of the trees as I plant them - the current count is 132 trees!